This is the last week of Project Sewn Season 3 Sew Along and the last challenge –
It has been a lot of fun, and it has been a LOT of challenge. I almost considered to skip this last week because my issues with personal style is what I am currently trying to address. Over the years, my “style” pretty much consisted of jeans and a simple top to get me out of the door in the morning. My consumer habits narrowed down to browsing the sale and clearance racks looking for best deals. In the past year I have been reading a lot on topics such as sustainable fashion, eco-consciousness and ethical approach to shopping, which all relate to personal style. I am still trying to sort through all the information that made itself available to me since I had this sort of awakening, and this shift in my mentality causes me to re-evaluate my approach to what I choose to wear and how I acquire it, among other things. I am nowhere close to having a solid plan, but I made a few changes already. A thought of making my own wardrobe came naturally. What I am presenting today is my attempt to break away from my former state of mind and create a new look that will reflect the changes in my thinking. My future signature style is still under construction, but this is where I am at now.
I made this outfit in my signature creative style. When I work on something, I pay a lot of attention to details inside and out. Finishing my garments with little extras makes them uniquely mine. This is my style, this is how I do things, this is a maze of all things that matter to me and I live in it. This is MaZe Living.
I used Butterick 5561 pattern and 3 different fabrics to create the top (4 if you count the underlining) – transparent knit with some varnish imprinted flowers for the front, solid black for back and collar, and laced pleather for the sleeves. All three shades of black matched nicely. The flowers on the front are barely noticeable unless the light hits them just right, and even then they look more like a watermark. However the shine is very similar to the muted shine of pleather – photo below illustrates that perfectly.
This one is not a great photo (still trying to learn my new camera and thinking that I might need to take a class), but you can really see the transparency effect.
Pleather is underlined with some silk organza for stability.
The flowers on the skirt are very similar in form to the flowers on the front of the blouse, however I chose large print for my rather larger frame. The skirt is a simple A-line maxi cut on bias to provide better fit and comfort.
Below are a few finishing details. All seams are finished with rayon binding.
Waist facing is done in cotton/linen blend stretchy jacquard – a little stretch works nicely with the bias of the skirt fabric.
I think this is a step in the right direction to find my signature style. Until I find it, I am going to keep trying.